Saturday 9 May 2015

In science we share

In the last few week I was very busy finishing my studies. It went all well and my master thesis was accepted and the exam worked out better than expected.
While blogging the more general known facts about bitumen and bitumen ageing, new questions arose during writing. So I will continue blogging about my master thesis results and when I find the time about new aspects. But for those who are eager to read my work, I post the link below.

http://www.ub.tuwien.ac.at/dipl/2015/AC12262744.pdf

Comments are welcome and I know there are still some mistakes



2 comments:

  1. Hi
    Congratulations for completing your research
    I still working in the same field
    Do you suggest a method for long-term ageing of asphalt in the lab
    Regards
    Haydar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you

      There are many methods in use and some in development. Sometimes they only differ in temperature range or time.
      If asphalt is used as synonym of bitumen rolling thin film oven test plus pressure ageing vessel showed good comparable results for field and laboratory aged specimen, if asphalt is supposed to mean asphalt concrete there are also some methods. One recently developed is composed of a triaxial cell and ozone is piped through the asphalt concrete sample.
      I personally think the established methods have their advantage when producing samples which reflect the rheological and mechanical behavior of aged bitumen. It should always be considered that every method has it limits and not every method is for all bitumen applicable and may not result in the same chemical composition as it would be during service lifetime.
      best regards
      Daniel

      Delete